Do I need Visa’s to work on a Super Yacht?

Europe – Schengen Visa

While there are categories and nationals of countries that are privileged with entering the Schengen visa-free zone, there are also other categories and nationals, which have to go through all the process of meeting requirements and attending interviews, in order to obtain a visa that grants them with the permission to enter the Schengen Area.

List of countries whose nationals need to obtain a Schengen Visa – Click here

USA – B1B2 Visa

This is a specific, non-immigration visa valid from between 1 – 10 years depending on which Passport you hold. It is essential to obtain a B1/B2 visa if you are a non-American crew member looking to work on international flagged yachts cruising or in US waters, as the vast majority of yachts will, at some point, visit the waters of the US.

It is a multi-entry visa which allows you to work on foreign flagged vessels cruising American waters, however it does not allow you to work on land or on American flagged vessels.

The Master (Captain) will usually give you a letter headed document to support your application. If you are applying without employment, this should still normally be a simple process.

B-1 business visitor visa and B-2 visitor for pleasure visa

Business travellers may enter the United States using a B-1 ‘Visitor for Business’ Visa. Typically these visas are issued as joint B-1 business visit visa and B-2  ‘Visitor for Pleasure’ (i.e. Tourist) visa. This practice means that, if you have an old B-1/B-2 visa originally issued for a tourist trip, it may be valid for a planned business trip.

Length of stay

Those entering on visitor visas will generally be granted 6 months admission on entry, though the maximum allowable stay is 1 year. It may be possible to obtain a six-month extension to the visit visa as long as the candidate will be maintaining visitor status, and there are good reasons to do so. It is sometimes possible to change status to another longer – term visa whilst in the US as a visitor, as long as the candidate advised the relevant US Embassy or Consulate of this possibility beforehand, or there was no pre-conceived intent to do so.


US Visitor Visas should generally be applied for in a country of which the candidate is a Citizen or permanent resident. Applications made in other countries often run a high risk of being turned down. The most common reason for refusal of B1/B2 visas is the applicant showing insufficient evidence of social, family or economic ties to his/her country of residence that would ensure that s/he would return there following the visit to the USA.

Please click on the link for the Official list of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions. Click Here