A Seaman’s Book certifies that the seafarer holding it is a “Seaman” as per The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW). All seafarers looking to work on a yacht must have their STCW certificates.
You do not need a discharge book if you’re employed:
on a ship that does not go to sea.
on a pleasure boat and do not receive any pay.
only for the purpose of testing the ship, its machinery or equipment in UK coastal waters.
specifically for the construction, alteration, repair or testing of a ship.
on an unregistered ship.
How Do I Get a Seaman’s Discharge Book?
Do you need a Seaman’s Book
Please keep in mind that the process of how to obtain a Seaman’s Book varies on the yachts flag authority as well.
Documents required to get to get a Seaman’s Discharge Book:
1. Completed the Application
2. Include your Certificate of Competence or relevant Qualifications
3. Include copies of your valid STCW95/2010 certificates
4. Passport Copy and Passport Photos
5. ENG 1 Medical (MCA Approved Certificate) Copy
The process of how to obtain a Seaman’s Book varies on the yachts flag authority.